Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,793Gear list
Like?
LR5b vs. Ap3 speed comparison
Apr 22, 2013

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to hear from others about the relative speeds of Aperture 3.4x and Lightroom 5 beta in rendering RAW files. I've seen conflicting anecdotal reports, so it would be nice if we could gather data from a variety of users about different computers and cameras.

The test I did was this:

I made a new Aperture library and Lightroom catalog, set Aperture to not generate previews on import and Lightroom to use "minimal" previews, and imported several dozen RAW files. Then, I clicked through from one image to the next and timed how long it took for the "loading" badge to disappear. Next, I timed how long it took to zoom in to 100%. Finally, I selected all images and timed how long it took to generate 1:1 previews (in Aperture, set Preview size to "Don't limit").

My results were 1) Aperture - 2 seconds to click through, 1 second to zoom in, 2) Lightroom - 5-6 seconds to click through, 0.5 seconds to zoom in. When generating 1:1 previews, Aperture took 2 seconds per image, Lightroom took 5-6 seconds per image.

One interesting difference in behavior, Lightroom seems to prefetch the next image when I pause before clicking through - if I wait a few seconds after the current image renders, the next one displays without delay. So, when I click through slowly, taking, say, 10 seconds to view each image, there's no lag at all. Aperture does not prefetch.

I tested with 1Ds Mark III 21MP RAW files on a 2012 13" Macbook with 2.9GHz dual-core Core i7 processor, 16GB RAM, and a 512GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD.

What results are you seeing?

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow