Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,931Gear list
Like?
A57 - First time out
Apr 22, 2013

No pictures, just a few comments.  This occasion was a hockey game for 7 year olds.  They played on half the rink which made it easier as far as focal lengths needed; but they had 16 of 25 overhead lights turned off; so the light level was very low and uneven.  Available gloom?  To get any kind of shutter speed at all, I had to use at least ISO 3200.  I was able to use the 18-135 lens the whole time.  Plus, I was shooting through dirty and puck marked glass.  As a result, nothing turned out well; but there's no surprise there.  I've been shooting youth hockey for about 13 years, and poor results are common; although this was the worst lighting I've encountered.  Big sister now plays on a college team.

On the positive side, I found the EVF perfectly fine for action shots.  The latency is small enough that I could easily catch the peak of the action - virtually lag free.  I also found that the EVF was plenty bright enough; better than a DSLR's OVF would have been in the gloom.  Plus, I could see the effects of auto white balance struggling with the crappy lighting, and the resulting color shifts.  Although, after a few shots I forgot it was an EVF.

Handling is very good.  I am glad I got the larger body because I have large hands, and because you need some size and weight to balance larger lenses.  I'm still familiarizing myself with the menu system, and I'm still finding things.  I also bought a used Sony HVL-F36AM flash, a Sony 55-300 mm lens, and the IR remote.  I'm particularly happy with the lack of mirror slap and the quietness of the camera.  Makes it a lot easier to get candids.

Speaking of candids, after the hockey game, we went to a prep area and I got a number of good shots of the family as the 7 year old was taking off some of her gear.  Sorry, I don't post family shots.  I don't think she realized I was taking pictures because the camera is quiet and the area noisy.

I have a lot more testing and familiarizing to do; but so far, the news is good.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow