That "L" lens "look" - Canon v Sigma 35mm1.4

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 857
Like?
Re: That "L" lens "look" - Canon v Sigma 35mm1.4
In reply to kipling, Apr 22, 2013

From what I have READ, Sigma for now, has beat Canon as far as look and sharpness.  I am sure if Canon releases a new version of that lens is will be better.

Here is MY issue with Sigma and Tamron AF lens. Canon lenses for some reason, as in they AF communication with their lenses, are better BY FAR then Sigma and Tamron.

The AF speed of a native Canon lens is always faster in most cases..

kipling wrote:

I have been looking for a used 35mm 1.4L because I tried one a few years ago and was impressed with the colour of the images. Now I read reviews of the Sigma 35mm 1.4 and the consensus seems to be that technically it is superior, or at least equal, to the Canon. And cheaper. Certainly seems to be sharper at f1.4.

But my experience with "L" lens is that their colour, contrast or whatever, is great, and maybe more important than sharpness. Sharpness can be measured but the "look" that I'm speaking of is a purely subjective thing. There would be plenty of room for disagreement.

So what do you think? Does any undefinable quality of the Canon lens overcome the technical superiority of the Sigma lens?

Cheers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow