Panasonic 20mm f1.7 question: depth of focus/field, how to make entire image in focus?

Started Apr 22, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eric C
Regular MemberPosts: 236
Like?
Panasonic 20mm f1.7 question: depth of focus/field, how to make entire image in focus?
Apr 22, 2013

Hi everyone,

I am a longtime owner of the Panasonic 20mm 1.7. Like many, I love it's compactness, but it's extremely sluggish autofocus and often INACCURATE autofocus are extremely frustrating.

One thing that really irks me about the lens is subject isolation/focus. No matter what aperture I set the lens to, it tends to differentially focus on just one subject in my field of view and blur everything else out. This makes it very difficult/unreliable to use for group photos, or when you have things at various focal points in the frame and you want it ALL to be in focus (almost like a dumb snapshot camera), except the 20mm constantly struggles to figure out what to focus on. Am I missing something here?

For that reason I have used my 14mm 2.5 lens as my standard walkabout lens which is a shame since most consider the 2.0 to be a superior lens.

I will try to provide some examples to illustrate my points but perhaps you guys can enlighten me if i'm doing something wrong.

Best way to illustrate my point. If i Have a glass plate about 2 feet in front of me...there is no way to get the entire plate in focus. It will focus on one edge of the plate and the other edge will be blurry. How can I get is so that the entire field of view is in focus?

I am using the OM-D btw. And everything on auto.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
LolNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow