ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Einst Stein
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?
Zeiss ZM 25mm for Lumix G5?
Apr 22, 2013

Anyone tried Zeiss ZM on Lumix G5?

I and my friend are considering to use Zeiss Zm lenses on mirror-less camera. Both still and movie are important. The current thinking is either Sony NEX-6 or Lumix G5. EOS-M would be another candidate but it's little remote on the horizon.

We read that on Nex-6, Zeiss ZM 28mm or wider are usually not good performers. So it leaves only ZM 35mm f2, ZM 50mm f2 in the list, it will be equivalent to ~ 50mm f2 and 75mm f2. (Contax G 90mm maybe another candidate we we don't have it on hand yet.) Also, the flange disgtance of Nex system is 18mm, which is far shorter than the original target flange distance (27.8mm, Leica M). There are quite some discussion on the Zeiss ZM performances on Nex-5, which I assume is applicable to Nex-6.

We don't see much discussion on ZM + Lumix. I've seen some pictures in flickr that was taken with ZM 25mm and G1. Since Lumix G system has flange distance 19.25mm, still smaller than the original target 27.8mm, but significant longer than Nex, and Lumix G has much smaller image circle than Nex, I'm expecting much less problem to use ZM lenses. So if ZM25mm is usable, it will give equivalent of 50mm f2.8 (out of Zm 25mm), 70mm f2 (out of ZM 35mm f2), and 100mm f2 (out of 50mm f2). It would be much richer than to use the Nex system.

Lumix system has smaller sensor, which would translate to less usable high ISO (one stop lower), but the flage distance and the smaller sensor should actually suffer less lght (extreme) angle problems (translate to vignetting and color shfiting). But this is just my theoretical guess. It may not be true.

So, can anyone comment your experience or what you've heard about this?

Can someone also comment, if you have some insight, why there is so less discussion on the Leica M lens or Zeiss ZM lens on Lumix G, compared to Nex?

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow