Why Mirrorless cameras and Micro 4/3rds, in particular, are important to me.

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,691
Like?
Re: Inexplicable
In reply to Kleeks13, Apr 22, 2013

Kleeks13 wrote:

Mjankor...interesting take.  I'm happy Dr. Hal, with the joyful hours you spent with your grandson..and the Panda....got love the San Diego pandas!!!

I spent less than an hour with a rental OMD last week shooting Bluebonnets in Texas, loaded the images on my laptop and compared them with the BB shots I took a few days before with my 1,000 pound  Oly E-3.  The images blew me away and the features, the lightness of the camera blew me away even more. I ordered one as soon as I got home.

I don't see so much "a justification" for the micro 4/3 purchased but more a new found joy in photography in Dr. Hal's post. ...and that's what I felt when I used this camera.

The Oly Pen F used by the Life/Time journalist in the mid-20th century who subtly captured the nuances of street life in NY was replaced by the 2 feet long and 10 pound heavy monsters of the late 20th century and, now, the DSLR of the 21st.  I know that earlier pioneer spirit is what Olympus wants to recapture with the Pen and OMD and why they are reusing these names. Basically: the fun of walking down the street or zoo with your grandson and shooting images that capture your imagination.

BTW, have any of you out there handled an Olympus Pen half frame camera? IF not, pick up one off ebay.  Some are quite inexpensive.  They are little tiny jewels of engineering..and built like little tanks.  They must have been a lot of fun to purchase and use.

I am not quite the old timer as Dr. Hal, but I do have a fused wrist from a car accident and the lightness and size of this camera has been a blessing.  I, too, have a renewed sense of joy in taking pictures and not a justification of why I blew all this money.

The feeling I have for this camera is the one I felt when I first switched from a tower PC to a laptop.  I could do the same tasks, but I was no longer chained to my desk..... I was free to work from my deck, or on my couch, take it on vacation.

Anyway Mankor, I just had lunch with my best friend.  Her husband is moving to Adelaide Au. and she plans to follow soon.  As soon as she does, I plan to visit...can't wait.... I understand it is a wonderful place!!!...and I'm taking my OMD.

-- hide signature --

Kleeks

It's very laidback here. A few good spots for photography, especially down along the south coast and through the Lofty and Flinders ranges.

These threads are fascinating. They're like a giant train wreck, yet so much fun.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
M5?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NiceNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow