ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
philfen
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Need advice on .mp4 video
Apr 22, 2013

Hi

I’m a newcomer to video and need some advice on .mp4, as this appears to be an acceptable format for use in Adobe Acrobat X Pro and other software applications of interest to me (PicturesToExe). It seems that Acrobat Pro accepts .mp4 and .mov, if H.264 encoded, and I need to adhere to this requirement.

I have access to a Panasonic SD90 PAL camcorder which produces .mts (AVCHD) files and 1080/50p in an .mp4 container. The 50p option (28 Mbits/sec) only produces .mp4. Also, I do have access to a Canon HV20 PAL tape-based camcorder (1080i and 24P) (.m2t files). In terms of background, I use a Windows 7 PC with 16GB RAM and an Intel 3770 processor. We have a version of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 and the latest version of Adobe Media Encoder on the PC although they have not been used.

Although I will want to look at my video footage on TV, my priority is to look at video for some training and presentations at work. Therefore, the need to produce material for viewing on a PC and the Web is important. At this stage, I know that short clips of one person talking (e.g. making an introduction) will be required, as well as other short clips of added value.

I would be grateful for any help with the following questions:

1. Would the SD90 be the best camcorder to use?
  2. If I shoot .mp4, will the files be too big for the Web? If so, what can be done to reduce the file size in an .mp4 container?
  3. As mentioned, the SD90 50p option is at 28 Mbits/sec. Is this OK for the Web or should I try to use something like 9 Mbits/sec? Sorry, this is all new to me!
  4. The SD90 also has an AVCHD option of 1080/50i (17 Mbits/sec). Would it be better to use this and convert to .mp4?
  5. Moving away from the SD90 to the Canon HV20, I have just read an interesting article on the best video format for the Web. After a render, it seems that the author had large .m2t files at 1280x720x25p which were converted to .mp4 via Visualhub using the H.264 codec for a 720x400 px video. Handbrake and Super were also recommended as converters; Visualhub may not be available now and was for the Mac rather than a Windows PC. Would you recommend this process and would it also be useful for SD90 video conversions?

I’m sorry this is so long; it’s just like starting school. So, I’ll leave it there.

If anyone can provide me with some guidance it would be very helpful. I’ll try and respond to any help later in the day as I’m here in the UK.

Thank you

Phil

Sigma SD9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow