First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,715
Like?
Re: First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?
In reply to r0gue, Apr 21, 2013

r0gue wrote:

I'm new to DSLRs.  Some photography enthusiast friends gave me a lot of instruction and I found myself enticed to a full frame D800.  That was a loong contemplation and a LOAD of research and advice.  But that said, I find the lens decision a little more challenging.

(I think) I want a nice prime for faces, family, friends. Thinking of a 50 or 85.  Either in a 1.4 or 1.8.

For faces you want 85mm or a little longer. Look at the reviews for the Nikon f/1.4G and 1.8G to see which you like best for bokeh.

If you are willing to give up auto-focus, the Rokinon (Samyang) 85mm f/1.4 lens with Nikon chip is quite good.

The AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR is an excellent portrait lens with the added advantage of being good for macro shooting.

And (I think) I want a nice ll around zoom lens.

The AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED is an excellent lens on the D800, and was used for several of the sample images Nikon presented to promote the D800 and D800E.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow