Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,960
Like?
Down Side to the New K-5IIs Focusing in Low Light
Apr 21, 2013

Alright, this clearly won't affect everyone but it needs to be pointed out. Now i just recently (2 days) picked up a very lightly used K-5IIs and sold my K-5 at a huge loss. I found out some weeks back that the K-5IIs had an issue with the 500mm F4.5 and 2x TC where unlike the K-5 it wouldn't effectively lock focus at the F9.0 equivalent. I tested this on the K-5 and it worked fine. Now i had sold the Sigma 2x TC before getting the K-5IIs so i tried the K-5IIs with a 2 stacked 1.4x TCs. Well it was dreadfully slow and loud but it would lock, i'd never consider it for anything serious. It would also lock quicker the closer it was in focus when you tell it to focus (naturally).

Now after a day of some field work with the K-5IIs i found another issue. Sometimes we point our long telephoto lenses into a bunch of branches at different distances to shoot a little bird in the branches. The problem is that the K-5IIs doesn't lock onto anything it just hunts with the 500/4.5 and 1.4x (my typical setup) the K-5 would just lock onto a random branch and be fine with that. Here is what i found...

it seems if there are too many things to lock onto it doesn't just pick one, it hunts for a larger more substantial object.

The K-5IIs still hunts a lot when in 5 point AF but does lock more often then in single point in these conditions

The K-5IIs with the 500/4.5 when it hunts will go end to end and then in short jumps it will sometimes pick a random branch to lock onto

The K-5IIs with 500/4.5 and 1.4x just hunts if pointed at a series of random branches
The K-5IIs with 500/4.5 and 1.4x will lock if pointed at a thick branch (trunk)
The K-5IIs with 500/4.5 hunts in the same situation but locks better with then with the TC

The K-5 would almost always lock on some random branch

In AF-S and AF-C center point

Now this is a lightly used camera i have and have no way of knowing if its faulty or not. with a more fresh battery it seemed to have better luck but was still far worse then the K-5

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow