Nikon 18-200 or Sigma 18-250

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
earthbound_ca
Senior MemberPosts: 1,252
Like?
Re: Nikon 18-200 or Sigma 18-250
In reply to Smalls, Apr 21, 2013

For every negative user review of the new Sigma 18-250 OS Macro, there seem to be 10 or more positive ones.  My experience mirrors the overwhelming number of positive user reviews found online at, for example, Amazon or B&H.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-250mm-f3-5-6-3-Digital-Cameras/product-reviews/B008B48AAE/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/873389-REG/Sigma_883_306_18_250mm_F3_5_6_3_DC_Macro.html

With the more formal tests, the charts don't always seem to complement the positive narrative that generally accompanies them.  That concerned me.

At the current price, the Sigma 18-250 Macro is an absolute bargain and a true no-brainer.  Mechanically, it's compact but sturdy.  Optically, it's perfectly acceptable for everyday photographic applications.  Just shoot smart and know that VR or OS is not a wholesale substitute for minimum shutter speed (particularly if your subject might move): prudent use of auto ISO can help in variable lighting conditions.  Understand how internal focus affects effective focal length at near vs far focus.  For what this lens does -- which is a lot -- it does surprisingly well.

Anyway, when I ordered a Sigma 18-250 Macro, I had my concerns.  You should, too.  It's always possible to get a dud but I'd say the odds are strongly in your favour of a happy outcome if you are looking for an all-in-one wonder (convenience lens).

FWIW, overlapping the focal range of just this one lens, I have used at least 14 other FX/dx lenses (zooms and primes/ Nikon, Tamron and Sigma incl. the Nikon 18-200 VRI (which I couldn't stand past 100mm)) on 6 digital SLR bodies.  Previously, I shot film (35mm & med format).  The Sigma 18-250 Macro is definitely satisfactory.  In fact, it's stellar considering all it can do.

IMNASHO the one lens worth considering as an alternative is the Nikon 18-300mm VR but it's in a substantially different price bracket, it's bigger, it's heavier and it doesn't quite get to quasi-macro to the same extent (although it's close).

As always, YMMV! 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow