Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
fireplace33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,372Gear list
Like?
Re: possible solution
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 21, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

fireplace33 wrote:

I finally found some time,  after stacking up several cubic meters of firewood this weekend, to make some more detailed tests, and found some confusing results?

Wow, you have been thorough. If I read this right...looks like 3 of the lenses may have issues, especially if the results are all that "bad" as in your example. Makes me think three of the lenses are off or decentered slightly.

You might try this and get usable results. On the D7100, fine tune the Sigma's and the 50mm using the center focus point...then retest left and right side focus points wide open with the new fine tune settings. You might find DOF has shifted enough to give good results across the range. D90 won't let you fine tune so lens recalibration may be needed for that body...resulting in new fine tune setting for the D7100 with the recalibrated lenses.

Hi Mako, I did do the AF fine tuning for each of these lenses immediately before I ran these tests. while looking at the central point of the central target seen in the images. I needed a tune values of -5 for the 50mm 1.4 ,  and -20 for the 17-50.

You can see the other images in the gallery now.

It's interesting to see that when using live view the focus worked, but not when looking normally through the viewfinder.

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow