Help me decide between the 135L and the 70-300L IS for a 6D

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
TristatePhoto
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Re: Help me decide between the 135L and the 70-300L IS for a 6D
In reply to Rexgig0, Apr 21, 2013

Rexgig0 wrote:

The 135L is certainly not a one-trick pony! Mine is used for everything from portraits to people-tolerant wildlife and birds. If I had to live with owning only two lenses, I could be quite happy with a wide lens and a 135L on a full-frame DSLR, 5D in my case, and rent/borrow/hire a longer telephoto for the occasional excursion to photograph birds and wildlife. I have a 100-300mm Nikkor I have occasionally used on my Canons with an adapter, and a Canon 400mm 5.6L. I very rarely use the 100-300mm, as the 135mm is usually long enough, and if not, I just use the 400mm 5.6L. But, then, that is how I tend to shoot, at this time in my life.

Perhaps schmegg's recommendation of the 100-400mmL is something to really consider.

By one trick pony I mean that it's just one perspective.......135mm boom that's it.

With the 70-300 or any telephoto zoom lens you can create photos that have a different distinct look to them by zooming in or out playing around with the compression and other effects and allowing you to get different angles.

Say that I'm shooting a photo of a bride/groom.

With the 70-300 or any telephoto zoom I can go from environmental portrait with both of them, to full body, to 3/rd's, half body, and head and shoulders very fast while giving a different distinct look to each photo while with the 135mm if you tried to do the same thing you would have to move way far back for the environmental which might not be possible, move in a lot closer to start to isolate them and go up the shots not to mention that foot zooming makes your photos have the same look to them.

Being able to be far back and zoom far in for a shot can offer distinct advantages such as allowing you to compress the photo more and isolate more or say there's a ledge nearby, you can shoot on top of that ledge with a nice long zoom and get the angle that you want where with a prime you can't do these kinds of things as you're limited to that one focal length.

I have an 85mm 1.8 but the main reason why I'm investing into a 55-250 and eventually in the near future a Sigma 70-200 2.8 is for the reasons mentioned above.

With two cameras (one with a 17-50 2.8 or 24-70 2.8 other 70-200 2.8) you can capture a much more larger variety of photos each with their own distinct look and are not limited to foot zooming AND it speeds up your shooting/creative process.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow