Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
tariqkhokhar
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Re: X100s: disappointing performance vs Panasonic GX1
In reply to Jeff Charles, Apr 21, 2013

Jeff Charles wrote:

tariqkhokhar wrote:

• The autofocus is slow & inaccurate in both good and poor light. I've tried every AF mode and tweak now and every manual focus option too: in short, this is it's downfall for me. I don't mind so much that it's slow - I just can't get it to focus on what I want reliably. A (stationary) kid's eye sitting outside in the afternoon sun should be no problem for a contrast-detect focussing system, right? Wrong! 4 attempts and even when it locks, it's the top of her nose that's in focus (out of the AF area..) and not her eye. Overall, I'd say it works around 50% of the time for me.

With the X100, two common reasons for mis-focusing are OVF parallax error, and the AF frame extending beyond the subject. I'd guess that the X100s is the same.

At close distances, using the EVF and reducing the size of the AF frame can help.

Thanks Jeff - I didn't really find the parallax to be a problem since the hybrid display seems to put the AF target area in the correct place and re-frame once it's locked. Reducing the size of the AF target are offered a minor improvement in accuracy but seemed to slow the whole thing down. This is all working on subjects > 2 or 3 meters away, the few really close up shots I took we're almost non starters for AF and I resorted manually focussing

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow