Why NEX-6 Movie has horrible color

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,339Gear list
Like?
Re: Why NEX-6 Movie has horrible color
In reply to Einst Stein, Apr 21, 2013

Einst Stein wrote:

In your first post, you seemed like someone who had done some research and came up with a strange conclusion.

In your later post, you come across as someone who does not understand much, if anything, about video, and based your findings on one simple comparison.

Shoot video in the aforementioned cameras side-by-side, with same FL lenses, at same aperture, and with the same neutral (or tweaked, if you like) settings.

The points that you raise make no sense to me. Crispness of grass? Color of ocean? Viewfinder? Sony advertise? Still pleasing, video harsh? How is anyone supposed to make sense out of this.

The Nex (any Nex for that matter) is renowned for its extremely high quality video footage, with sparkling colors and extreme low light capabilities.

Now, as to subject matter, operator handling, lighting, settings, colors and postprocessing, they can make and break any scene. They say nothing about the performance, merely about the setup.

If you like the Lumix that much, why do you need to convince yourself here? So far, no one seem to agree with you, except for the usually trolls that pop up when M43/Nex comparisons come up.

Two things to check with the Lumix - FL and Settings. FL, because usually the smaller-sensor cameras use longer FL, which narrows the FOV, but of course brings out more details (per pixel), and Settings, because both manufacturer and videographer may have dialed in colors for the scene.

Again, I posted 40+ videos, most taken under low light, with NEUTRAL settings, and with AMAZING colors. If you can't see this, then I suggest that you

• a) check your monitor settings - it sounds as if it is not properly calibrated
  • b) check your eyesight - perhaps your color perceptions is way off

And I mean this in a good sense

Lastly, the best video camera cannot make a dull scene look colorful, and the worst video camera can not make a colorful scene look dull. So, try to compare apples with apples.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow