70-200mm f4 RRS collar is here

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Denis of Whidbey Island
Contributing MemberPosts: 730Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-200mm f4 RRS collar is here
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, Apr 21, 2013

In order to better inform anyone shopping for a collar, I've been on Kirk's site examining photos of that design to help compare it to my RRS unit. I'm struck by a couple of things:

1. It appears that the bearing surface of the ring is some kind of tape or thin, applied material. This contrasts with the more substantial surface of the RRS, which is rebated so only the leading and trailing edges bear on the lens. Not saying one is better than the other, but mine seems to be a typically over-engineered RRS design.
  2. I don't see any special bearing surface on the forward support of the Kirk. If you own one, does it actually support the lens and does it rub when you rotate it?

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony a5000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow