GPS tagging in China

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?
Bjorn is correct!
In reply to Bjorn Holmsen, Apr 21, 2013

Laws here are enforced when necessary, not by principle just because the law is there.

Odd? Maybe! But thats the way it is. Chinese are very pragmatic.

My 6D has no GPS, but my Canon S100 does. Both bought here in the same store.

Strange? Certainly not more strange than water boarding in Abu Grabi... My point is that China is often critizised by self nominated experts. China is not perfect, but tell me a country which is?

Bjorn Holmsen wrote:

No one cares as long as you do not do anything "sensitive", such as taking pictures in border regions or near military or other important installations. Or should you happen to take pictures of protesters somewhere, or police arresting someone. Then they may confiscate your equipment or even expel you from China if they think it is a serious or intentional offense.

Some foreigners, American I think, have been charged with espionage for using GPS units in sensitive areas. (Do not know what happened to them.)

The GPS in your camera may not be the problem, for instance if you took pictures of protesters, but they may use that as an excuse to do what they decide to do, eg confiscating your camera or the card in it.

That is the way rules work in the PRC, and this most foreigners do not understand. The rules and law in China are tools the rulers use to exercise discretionary powers. I do not even think most rules are meant to be strictly followed. Even the most law-abiding citizen or corporation can only comply with perhaps 80% of the rules; the rest can be used any time, either as a punishment, or as a deterrent; they will always have something to nail you with, should they need.

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow