Wide angle (to normal) magic. Long lenses, not so much.

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bigpigbig
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465Gear list
Like?
Wide angle (to normal) magic. Long lenses, not so much.
Apr 21, 2013

It is no surprise that Fuji started with 18mm, 35mm, 60 mm primes. Next came the 18-55mm zoom and then the 14mm prime. All these lenses are what make this camera special. Why? Because with short focal lengths, you can have a fast lens without it being HUGE. F-number=Focal Length / Diameter of the aperture. The apertures of the primes wide open are; 35--25mm, 60--25mm, 18--9mm, 14--5mm. These maximum aperture sizes (less than 25mm)  allowed the lenses to be kept small and, in my opinion, well balanced on the X-Pro1 and XE1 bodies.

The next two lenses in the lineup seem less "ideal" in size and weight. The 56mm f1.2 will need a 47mm maximum aperture. Almost double the largest to date. The 55-200mm 3.5-4.8 will need a 42mm aperture for the long end. At some point, the lens becomes so big and heavy that it defeats the purpose of having a small lightweight mirrorless system.

For example, in order to have a lens that would perform equivalent to a 200mm f2 would need to be an impossibly huge 135mm f1.4 with a diameter of almost 10cm.

Don't get me wrong, I am into this system with both feet. I love the handling and quality I am getting from a lightweight system. I have the 14, 35 and 18-55, as well as a 12mm Voitlander. I just don't am not convinced about using it with long lenses. The longer the lens, the more important balance (and very fast, accurate AF) becomes.

Does anyone else think the 55-200 fully extended looks ridiculous on the XE1?

It is no wonder why Leica had a 135mm f4-ish as its longest lens for their compact system.

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow