Joachim Wulfers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112Gear list
Like?
Re: Light/small/sharp/wide manual legacy prime lens for $50
In reply to mgn2, Apr 21, 2013

mgn2 wrote:

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

mgn2 wrote:

I just got a NEX-6, having got rid of my Nikon DSLR gear. So far I have the kit 16-50 zoom and the Sigma 30mm 2.8. Also have a Fuji X100. I would like to add a good quality prime with large aperture (1.8 or 1.4 or better), but would like to stick to the 2 reasons I bought the NEX-6..usability of cheap old lenses and light/small compact package.

I see dozens of very informative posts on manual lenses, but most of them compare hundreds of popular legacy lenses without regard to cost, aperture, size or weight including the adapter, or they look for the smallest lens without regard to price (may as well get a Zeiss or expensive Sony OSS lens).

So my question - what is the lightest and smallest (adapter included) manual legacy lens I can find used, with the best bokeh and sharpness for $75 (including adapter). Any FL, but mainly looking at around 35mm, 50mm and longer.

My light, small, sharp, wide manual, cheap and not so cheap are:

Olympus OM 50/1.8, very sharp and reasonably compact.

Konica Hexanon 40/1.8, very sharp, nice colour rendering and compact

SMC Pentax 40/2.8, nice compact lens

And then the not so cheap Zeiss Contax-G Planar45/2, very sharp and great colours. And the Voigtlander Ultron 35/1.7 which is one of my preferred lenses.

All shown with their respective adapters

-- hide signature --

Joachim

I can't tell to well from your pics, but are the 2 rangefinders + adapters upfront considerably smaller than the SLR + adapters in the back? I am considering a rangefinder lens on the basis that with the adapter it will be much smaller than say the Pentax 50mm 1.7 or the Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4. In my price range that would mean a Jupiter-8...anyone have any ideas how to go about getting a good sample asap? Everything on ebay seems to be from Russia/Ukraine/Latvia with 2-4 weeks shipping! I would pay up for a Voigtlander/Zeiss/Leica lens, but at this point for MF use only (something I would do less often than AF and more for curiosity/fun) I can't justify spending more than $150 including the adapter.

Typically the size of the adapter for a rangefinder lens is about 1/3 the height of a SLR lens adapter. Here are two pictures showing the Zeiss Contax-G Planar 45/2 besides the Minolta 50/1.4 you are referring to. Theyare not fully comparable, but close.

But this comparison is academic, since I don't think you will find such a combination for the budget you have set. I hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow