ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BandofBrothers
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
Help me with moving/action shots please
Apr 21, 2013

Hey everyone,

I took the V1 out this weekend, visiting historical sites/castles etc - and I get good results with these stationary / landscape subjects. I use Aperture priority mode, AF-S, Single Point Focusing, Single shot, lowest ISO possible to maintain an adequate shutter speed etc.

However, whilst taking some photos of wildlife, even slow moving ones such as ducks I get mixed results. I switch the camera to AF-C Focusing mode and Continuous shooting mode. I leave the camera in Aperture priority mode, and make sure that the shutter speed is plenty high enough to avoid motion blur. This was no problem yesterday as there was tons of available natural light because of the very nice sunny weather.

The problem I have, is I find it very difficult to get the relevant features of the ducks in focus (the eyes and beak) - so the pictures often look rubbish. I got a few keepers but around 80% of the "duck" shots are non-keepers. I find it particularly difficult with the V1 as the focus "box" is so large compared to the old "dot" style focus points on my (now sold) Nikon D3100 DSLR.

Am I doing anything wrong, or is this "just the way it is" with such moving objects?

I half-expect some people to advise switching to Shutter Priority, but shutter speed is not the problem as the pictures are perfectly clear and free of any motion blur - just the eyes and beak are out of focus, even when I am sure that is where I focused.

I want to get to the bottom of this problem, as I am due to attend some airshows in a few months and want to improve at shooting action pictures before this.

Many thanks for any help

BandofBrothers's gear list:BandofBrothers's gear list
Nikon 1 V1
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow