Shooting Marathons...Maybe

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
slowhands
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,470Gear list
Like?
Re: Shooting Marathons...Maybe
In reply to Hulamike, Apr 21, 2013

I shoot marathons and other events too, for several different large event coverage companies.  Generally they bring in their own "TEAM" of shooters and team leaders, and augment coverage with local photographers (like you and I).

It's simple, you TALK to the person/people who you shoot for, and express your desire to learn and grow and shoot other aspects of the marathon.

Finish line / Banner shots are "safe" shots... fairly standardized and needing several photographers who can follow their recipe.

Along the race shots require timing, anticipation, and some more judgement to capture compelling images that will SELL, that's why the event photog companies tend to place their own known shooters there.

Again, just SPEAK with them, if you don't ASK, they won't read your mind.  When I'm team leader on events, I like to see people who THINK and have initiative, but who can also follow the recipe/guidelines and be team players when asked.

Good luck.

slowhands's gear list:slowhands's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OkNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow