umbrella or softbox for travelling?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
chasg
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,275
Like?
Re: umbrella or softbox for travelling?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, Apr 21, 2013

Clueless, you've made a very poor assumption, I'm afraid. I'm glad that  you've figured out how to fold your Ezyboxes and feel the need to evangelize this fact, but my ezyboxes are the first generation (they only came in one size at that time), and are too small to fold further (I have a studio full of Lastolite kit, I'm well aware of how to fold it). My mistake in not making that clear to OP (apologies, OP).

I find the double-fold westcott brollies to be poorly made (I have 2): every time I fold them, the tips come off the spars, it's a huge pain to have to put them back on again every time. I'm curious, do you have this issue yourself? I like their compact size, but I would not buy again.

Chas

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

I travelled with 2 double fold westcott brolly's, 2 x http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612771-REG/Manfrotto_5001B_5001B_Nano_Black_Light.html
 and the same Ezy box.

Your remarks about the Ezybox has me telling you: LEARN HOW TO FOLD THE EZYBOX!!
FYI the Ezybox can fold REAL small and used to come with a small bag. People couldn't fold it properly and lastolite was bombarded with complaints, so they just issued it with a bigger bag.. 
Google it and Im sure you will find instructions or on youtube... The Ezy box is the perfect travellers soft box (for its opened size) 
If I remember off the top of my head, I think you close it down so you have an inverted triangle in front of you as you would to put it in its bag, then get the two points that make up the widest part of the triangle in each hand, start to bring them together like closing a book and halfway through this twist the corners intowards you, allowing them to twist and fold in on each other. Its a bit nerve wracking at first but persevere..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow