Nikon D7100 left focus issue

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,925
Like?
Get a good exif reader.
In reply to PepsiCan, Apr 21, 2013

That is what the exif says: AF | ON | Tag ID 00B7.
AF Veldstand is "automatischveld AF"

And this is what he wrote in his very first post:

" Here I mounted the camera on a tripod, adjusted the tripod height so the camera was approximately the same height as the test pattern, and fired with a wired remote release, with MLU engaged. "

So, if you take six pictures with low shutter speeds using two lenses and a left, middle and right set of focus sensors, and four end up sharp but the two left side pictures are unsharp, this means it is because of camera shake ? Sure...
He used the same setup with similar slow shutter speeds on the D7000 and from left to right there is no visible sharpness difference to be found.

The artificial flower is a very poor target if you use auto AF because the camera uses information from various af sensors on parts of the target at different distances to the camera. The 35 mm nikon is suspect of chronic back focus, but not selectively on either side. Still, I would have left it out of the comparison. The 70-200 is softer on outer sides, but he didn't stretch it that far with the left and right side pictures. I can see a back focus on the left side picture with the 70-200, and what he should have done is take a series of 10 on both the left and right side to confirm the difference. That would rule out random error of the AF sensors. That is the only real thing he should have done to make his judgement more solid. Other than that, his pictures show more information pointing at a left af sensors issue than the opposite.

lock

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow