Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
Re: Best type of light for portraiture?
In reply to TristatePhoto, Apr 21, 2013

TristatePhoto wrote:

Lena Hale wrote:

TristatePhoto wrote:

That is over powering the sun. It was not night time.....it was pure daylight when that photo was taken.

If you want to overpower the daylight even more go find some shade and you can make the ambient purely black.

Also I'm not sure what style of photography the OP is going for.

I was trying something low key and moody/horror like not the typical boring fashion/glamour shot.

-- hide signature --

www.warrenjrphotography.com

I'm going for glamor/fashion shots as well as conceptual images, which could be moody or macabre depending on the concept. I want to be able to cover a wide range of moods so whatever equipment I end up with needs to be versatile.

Here are the results from the first time I shot fashion shots using a $70 high powered speed lite and an umbrella.

Hmmm... shadows seem rather harsh for umbrella lighting.... (???)

Being super critical, it is somewhat unfortunate that the shadow extends across the upper lip, in the first one. The light is too high, or the chin is too low (effectively the same thing)

This is the kind of thing that the modelling light allows one to pick up, PRIOR to the shot being taken. Posing is done in real time, so you can ask her to lift her chin by JUST the right amount to clear the shadow problem, and THEN shoot.

In the other shot, you have the other problem. I think your light is too low...

....  but hey, that's just my opinion.  (shrugs)

-- hide signature --

www.warrenjrphotography.com

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow