Actor Headshot From Today's Shoot

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Photos thread
Kleeks13
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
Re: The eyes are the mirrors of the soul...
In reply to Joseph S Wisniewski, Apr 21, 2013

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

I am one who believes strongly in removing the lenses from glasses worn by nearsighted people such as your subject.

The eye is the window of the soul -- Hiram Powers

The light of the body is the eye... -- Matthew 6:22 (KJV) (ellipses mine)

The eyes are very near the top of the list for what sells an actor. Negative lenses make the eyes look smaller, and that has connotations including emotional detachment, hostility, obsessiveness, stupidity, and narrow-mindedness. Nothing positive in Western culture.

I'm guessing she's about a -2 diopter. Take her lenses out, shoot her again, and watch the face open up.

Positive lenses make them look larger. I keep some stylish +2 and +3 glasses around for just such use. Large eyes connote attentiveness, emotional range and expressiveness, intelligence, they're made of win.

"I am one who believes strongly in removing the lenses from glasses worn by nearsighted people such as your subject."

Joseph:  interesting input. Removing the lenses....do you do this for both actors and just regular people who wear glasses?

The reason I ask, is that I'll be photographing some Navajo Code Talkers this weekend.  Two thirds of them wear glasses.  I've shot them before and I've spent quite a bit of time working with the glare of the glasses.  I ask them to take them off, so I have some back-up shots in case I have a big glare issue, yet I have a great pose.  However, without the glasses, the guys squint, have indents in their eye sockets and skin from wearing glasses for years.  ...and although the eye is the window of the soul, they look weird without them.  Many can't hear well, so telling them to "not squint"  is difficult.  Plus try saying that in Navajo. LOL

BTW...why did you even bother shooting this actor with glasses?  Isn't that a prop that is dependent on the script?  and something that will be added as needed?

....also agree with lightening the teeth...the eyes are the window of the soul, but i come from a dentist family. LOL....and white or light teeth is "thing" with me.

Kleeks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow