Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258
Like?
Re: Why magnesium alloy????
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Apr 21, 2013

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

It is because Magnesium Alloy provides the best compromise between weight, strength and cost.

No, plastic over a metal frame is the best compromise betwen weight, strength, and cost.

No. Plastic will be cheaper but not strong enough for the durability offered/required by pro bodies relative to the magnesium alloy construction. That is why the cheaper, consumer grade bodies, are made of plastic over metal frame while the more expensive bodies are made of magnesium alloy.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

lol Glock handguns which are widely regarded as the most reliable and durable handgun currently in existence have a completely plastic frame as well as other plastic parts. In fact Glocks huge  technical and finical sucesse with their "plastic fantastic"  has caused many other firearm manufactures to start making plastic framed handguns very similar to Glock's design which are proving to be just as durable and reliable.

As far as cameras go I have seen a video where a rebel falls down a long flight of concrete stairs and is still taking pictures in another video afterward, all be it with some damage.  I have also seen a video where a D4 is completely bricked by a short, 3 foot drop.   I have a feeling magnesium bodies are more about marketing than anything else.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
gunsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow