Happily switched from Aperture to Lightroom?

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,735Gear list
Like?
Aperture renders RAW 3x faster for me.
In reply to mpe, Apr 21, 2013

mpe wrote:

Aperture can certainly cope with 24MP images. I run through hundreds or thousands of 21MP RAW files per job on a 2012 13" Macbook Pro, and Aperture has absolutely no trouble keeping up. My biz partner finds LR no faster with his 36MP D800E RAW files.

If you're finding LR faster, it may be that you're comparing a new small LR catalog to a much larger and older Aperture library, or that some other factor is impacting your Aperture performance, or you're comparing to Aperture 2, not 3.

Wish that's the case.

My computer is Macbook Air 2011, Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD

Test case:

- create empty Aperture library and Lightroom catalog

- import 5 D800 RAW files to empty aperture library

- disable quick previews to work with the actual RAW file

- open the picture and zoom to pixel level (Z shortcut key).

- measure time between pressing the key and disapearing of the Loading... indicator

Results:

Aperture 3.4.4 - 4.5 sec

Lighroom 5 beta - 1 sec

My experience is that Lightroom is significantly faster in pretty much everything. Faster computer can mask the difference, but there is a huge difference in processing performance. There are similiar differences in batch operations, opening the app, etc.

Aperture renders my 21MP 1Ds3 RAW files 3x faster, whether clicking through immediately after import or generating 1:1 previews. Ap takes 2 seconds vs. 5-6 seconds for LR5b.

When downloading and then immediately clicking through, Aperture's speed advantage is obvious. However, if I pause on an image for longer than LR needs to render it, the next one renders immediately. It seems LR is prefetching the next image, which Aperture doesn't do.

So, when I'm really in a hurry, Aperture is much faster. When I'm not in a hurry, LR can be more responsive. However, if I'm not in a hurry, both apps can generate 1:1 previews, which makes click-through and 100% zooming instantaneous. LR uses the 1:1 previews by default, whereas in Aperture this Quick Preview mode is toggled on and off with the P key.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow