A99 at soccer (first time with camera)

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,316Gear list
Like?
Re: A99 at soccer (first time with camera)
In reply to dantor, Apr 20, 2013

I don't know which A99 Sony Toronto gave to you, the one in Vancouver demo model has pre-production firmware therefore focus not very fast (I tested it once against my own A99). Anyways, from what I know:

1) Canon 100-400 has fast AF speed but lack sharpness at wide open aperture (especially at 400mm), Nikon 80-400 is very dated with very slow AF speed. Sony (current version silver colour) is reasonably speedy and prime-like sharp, even at 400mm end. The new G II version (white paint) is 4x as fast as the current one. If you can wait (around July time) you should get new version.

2) A99 has very effective AF-D focusing mode (think of it as enhanced AF-C). Once you lock on subject it just stick all the way through panning and burst shooting. Perfect for things like BIF and sports. So the first thing I will do is make sure camera is in AF-D mode.

3) I usually use manual exposure with auto ISO (I like to set 3200 as upper limit because I do some heavy cropping afterwards). When I use 70-400G I will start with 1/1000, f5.6 and adjust shutter speed based on subject (i.e. fast flying small birds).

4) I shoot RAW only so I turn off all the in-camera picture correction and noise reduction, thus I can free up some processing time, for added buffer depth.

5) If you shoot hi-speed shutter (1/1000 or higher) you should turn off electronic first curtain (in the menu). EFC is good for slow speed handheld or landscape work designed to reduce camera shake.

6) Leave Steady Shot ON is OK, even you mount your camera on tripod, as long as you do any tracking burst shooting.

These are my 2 cents. Good luck and have fun with A99. I also have Canon 7D and I picked A99 over Canon 5D iii so far I am having so much fun with it.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow