Like?
AF-ON
In reply to PepsiCan, Apr 20, 2013

PepsiCan wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

PepsiCan wrote:

regos wrote:

What exactly is "focus priority"?

On more advanced bodies like the D7xxx and Dxxx series, you can determine whether the camera should take he shot even without focus having been achieved (shutter priority). When you set it to focus priority, it won't take the shot unless focus is achieved. For testing purposes you want to eliminate the chance of purposefully taking a shot out of focus.

In a tripod setup it really is unnecessary to use focus priority. You can see the green light and continue to shoot as the target and camera no longer move after focus lock and in AF-S focus will not change once locked.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

I disagree. Not everyone is carefully enough to first press the shutter button half way and wait for focus to lock. Also, if your lens is too close to the target and you are not in focus priority, you will take an out of focus shot. Set things to focus priority and you prevent such mistakes from influencing your test results. It is a test so control the environment so results cannot be questioned and conclusions can be drawn unambiguously.

If you are actually testing focus and determining AF-Fine tune...then you would be looking for focus confirmation. If you require "focus priority" to be "on" to accomplish that, then perhaps you shouldn't be trying to AF-Fine tune.  Not saying it can't help, only that it's not required to accomplish AF-Fine tune when done properly. In fact, I find the most accurate method is with AF-C and AF-ON (back button) then with a remote release and MUP. DotTune also works extremely well and there no "focus priority" needed at all and even simpler to set up. Added benifit of no pictures needed so camera shake and mirror slap not an issue.

DotTune

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow