Leica 25mm f/1.4 - Pictorial Review

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
clengman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297Gear list
Like?
Re: A desire for clarity
In reply to David Kieltyka, Apr 20, 2013

David Kieltyka wrote:

I just spent nearly 90 minutes writing a long, detailed response...which the forum software decided to blow away when I tried to post it. AARRGGHH!!

I hate when that happens.

Guess I better back up everything I write here before posting from now on.

So I'll just redo the last paragraph.

I'm just trying to provide info here. I've seen lens design software in action, so I have some knowledge of the broader subject. I have no brand loyalty to peddle, nor any brand hostility to vent. I detected a bit of both in the post of yours I originally responded to. Please correct me if I misinterpreted.

-Dave- (who is currently really, really steamed)

No, I'm no fanboy. My first post was just intended as a little gentle ribbing directed towards those that think that Leica plays an active role in producing the Leica-branded panasonic equipment. I'm firmly in the camp that believes it's really no more than a marketing ploy, but that doesn't mean I think any less of panasonic's m43 stuff. I personally have an olympus camera and two kit lenses, but I recognize that panasonic has made some nice stuff, and I think their 25mm lens looks like a very good one.

I agree that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference who actually designed or manufactured the lens or who puts whose name on it. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I was just making an observation. After looking at the diagram in Sigma's patent and the diagram of the panasonic 25mm, it seems implausible to say the least that they could be two completely independent designs. Given that Sigma filed their patent before the Pansonic lens was released, I can think of only two scenarios. 1)A Sigma corporate spy ripped off panasonic's design or 2)Sigma was involved in either the design or manufacture of the lens. I don't think it's unheard of for Sigma to do some lens design for major brands. I personally think that scenario 2 is more likely. Who knows, though?

I agree with you about the samyang fisheye. I have it and love it. But while we're on the subject of fisheye lenses, I had a look at a few different fisheye lenses, the 7.5mm f/3.5 (for m43) and 8mm f/3.5 (for APS DSLRS AND Four thirds mount) lenses made by samyang, the panasonic 8mm fisheye for micro four thirds, and the olympus 8mm f/3.5 for four thirds. There'd be no mistaking any one of those diagrams for one of the others, even two made by the same manufacturer, or two made for the same mount

I'm happy anytime a new lens is released for m43. I don't care if it's high-quality or poor, expensive or cheap, of a fancy provenance or made by an unknown third party manufacturer. I think there's room for all comers.

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow