Video cam for a car

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Carey Brown
Contributing MemberPosts: 689Gear list
Like?
Extreme Cam - my recent purchase
In reply to Owen, Apr 20, 2013

I received my "Extreme Cam" three weeks ago ($150 on Amazon) which I'm trying to use as a car cam.

Pros:

Reasonable 1920x108px30fps video quality. From the few I was able to record I estimate that it will take about 3 GB per hour at this resolution.

Water proof (haven't tried it yet but I'll be in a heated pool next week and may try it)

Suction cup to attach to windshield was well made.

Car power cord was very long for mounting camera in car somewhere other than the windshield.

Variety of other ways to attach camera to handlebars helmets etc.

Cons:

Chip was a PITA to get in and out (I thought it was defective), found you needed some pokey thing to push the chip all the way into the housing.

With the car charger plugged in the screen is flipped out of the way which makes it difficult to see if the record light is on (lost 2 videos because of this).

When using the camera with the windshield suction cup you end up with the camera upside down so you'll need some software to rotate it back (not supplied but shouldn't be a big deal).

Carey Brown's gear list:Carey Brown's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow