Best type of light for portaiture?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Questions thread
Darrell Spreen
Forum ProPosts: 10,064
Like?
I agree with TristatePhoto
In reply to Lena Hale, Apr 20, 2013

I have been doing portraits and other photography for years using inexpensive off-camera speedlights with umbrellas, reflectors and smalll softboxes and I have found them to be a great choice with many advantages -- portability, better light control, and I have not found the power to be inadequate (yes, you can easily overpower the sun).

I don't like the over-lit portraiture that many people struggle with when they start out with studio strobes.  My preference is to use light in a subtle way to give the feeling of a natural setting.

In the sample below, I used 2 off-camera flashguns in manual mode, each bounced into a white umbrella.  The photo was taken on location, so the portability was a big plus.  I don't think all the lighting equipment for this shot cost more than $200.00.

I know I'm old school -- I advise people to experiment to learn what can be done with light, rather than try to buy a "formula" approach.  I actually think that comes easier with speedlights.

(Click on original size if you don't see the image -- DPR has been having problems with embedded photos lately)

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow