How badly is this photo breaking the rules?

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,234Gear list
Like?
Re: How badly is this photo breaking the rules?
In reply to marike6, Apr 20, 2013

marike6 wrote:

The composition works because the converging lines of the shell-like object in the background lead the eye to the bug-man subject, and then the refection the same pattern lead the eye down across the ground.  So it's not a static as a typical bulls-eyed composition, and that's part of the reason it works.

Thanks, I liked the curves and striaght lines and the reflections thereof.

See the original here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51318105

Some have commented about the horizon - one thing photographers (and perfectionists) like to talk about, but sometimes make mistakes with is the horizon.  The background shell figure doesn't necessarily tell us that the "horizon" is skewed down at the right side of the frame as that downward line of the bottom of the seashell-like background could be perspective and converging lines similar to how the floor tiles appear to be converging at some unseen point on the right.   The slight tilt could also mean that one side of the shell-like background is closer to the camera making the "horizon" line appear to go down.

Yes, I was more concerned about the shell structure too, didn't really pay attention to the horizon, hence I didn't notice the skew.

That said, I took the liberty of tilting the frame slightly (.8 CCW in PS), and the subject doesn't appear to be leaning.  It makes the composition more symmetrical, but I'm not sure it improves the the image as it feels a bit more static now in that you don't get the tension created by the "horizon" line and the lines of the floor tiles converging somewhere off in the distance.

That's the thing, I can really notice the background isn't 'straight', or maybe it's me.

Sometimes having things skewed and irregular causes visual tension and adds interest.  You be the judge.

Thanks for your input,

Skewed .8 CCW in Photoshop - Is it improved or not?  I am not so sure....

Anyway, good job.  Rules are more like guides and to use the old cliche, are meant to be broken.

Nice post.  Keep up the good work,

Thanks again, Jon.

Regards and happy shooting, Markus

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Olympus SP-500 UZ Olympus SH-50 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow