How badly is this photo breaking the rules?

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Re: Who cares.
In reply to Richard, Apr 20, 2013

Richard wrote:

I think it is a good picture. The "rules" of photography are eye candy or a drug, it is what the brain wants to see and what it likes. But the most important attribute of a photo is does it tell a story or set a mood. The brain like this too but not because of some rule. Because it causes you to think.

Kind of makes you think about who made the rules...

I don't care about the rules. I like the photo. Could you have used rules.. sure, they can help a good photo become better but sometimes you don't have the shot, you can't place the subject, cropping changes your idea or takes away from the emotion.

Remember some people are jealous cause they don't have images like this in their gallery.

I don't have too many though, not even on my hard drive...!!

I say it is a cool photo.

Thank you.

Jon.

The Jacal wrote:

Hi all,

I quite like this photo, I was lucky with the timing, lack of people, the weather; the cloudburst that finished about two minutes before gives a nice reflection, and lucky with the 'antenna'.

I know that it doesn't follow traditional rules. I tried to get a bit of symmetry, a bit of balance without having too much dead space.

Insect man.

It's an 'old' pic from the summer; I mislaid the memory card and found it recently, which was nice.

Anyway, what do you think?

Constructive criticism is good, if you're going to be 'mean-spirited', no problem, just say what is wrong, 

Thanks.

Jon.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Olympus SP-500 UZ Olympus SH-50 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow