Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photoeng
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032Gear list
Like?
Question for D200 owners: in camera settings + post processing
Apr 20, 2013

I've tried tweaking my shooting settings to minimize post processing. (Sharpening, Tone, Saturation)

I've not really found a combination that I'm completely happy with yet.

I took my some images from a recent trip to San Diego and threw them into Lightroom and immediately got the look I wanted.

So here's my question: if I'm going to do post processing in Lightroom, does it matter that I have tweaked in camera settings on my raw files?  In other words, can I use my in camera settings on my D200  to give me an idea of what the image will look like, then take that image to Lightroom and get the same result had I used 'Normal' for all the settings?  The manipulation that I am doing in Lightroom is just applying some canned presets which have to do with 'Vibrance', Sharpening and sometimes some exposure compensation.

I'm wondering if there's any amount of 'double processing' that is happening since I have tweaked camera settings and then, on top of that, apply some post in Lightroom.

Note that I always shoot in RAW only (compressed).

Since I shoot in compressed RAW, does the conventional wisdom of "always shoot with minimal in camera settings" still apply?

David

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_pc3rG-s05z0/SQwS9ksUVRI/AAAAAAAAEc0/DNXeuE_N-zE/s288/Clipboard01.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photoeng/

photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D70s Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
Nikon D200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow