How badly is this photo breaking the rules?

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245Gear list
Like?
Re: It's really nice, but ...
In reply to NZ Scott, Apr 20, 2013

NZ Scott wrote:

The Jacal wrote:

Hi all,

I quite like this photo, I was lucky with the timing, lack of people, the weather; the cloudburst that finished about two minutes before gives a nice reflection, and lucky with the 'antenna'.

I know that it doesn't follow traditional rules. I tried to get a bit of symmetry, a bit of balance without having too much dead space.

Insect man.

I think this is a really nice shot, Jacal.

Thanks.

But ...

Ooh, here comes a but... 

There is one thing I don't like about it, and that is the fact that the floor angles downwards from right to left. It's kind of like seeing a wonky horizon on a landscape shot. I think that if you straightened the "horizon" here you would have a stronger image (even though that might cause the vertical lines above the "horizon" to look a bit skewed).

As I mentioned before I didn't noticed the horizon, I was more fixed on the background and I thought that the lines in the foreground kind of led into the pic.

I think I'll have another play with it later.

Thanks for the input,

Jon.

S

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow