How badly is this photo breaking the rules?

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243Gear list
Like?
Re: How badly is this photo breaking the rules?
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, Apr 20, 2013

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

The Jacal wrote:

Hi all,

I quite like this photo, I was lucky with the timing, lack of people, the weather; the cloudburst that finished about two minutes before gives a nice reflection, and lucky with the 'antenna'.

I know that it doesn't follow traditional rules. I tried to get a bit of symmetry, a bit of balance without having too much dead space.

Insect man.

It's an 'old' pic from the summer; I mislaid the memory card and found it recently, which was nice.

Anyway, what do you think?

Constructive criticism is good, if you're going to be 'mean-spirited', no problem, just say what is wrong, 

Thanks.

Jon.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

Being a newbie, my rules aren't well burned in.

When I look at that image I see great left/right symmetry and very little up/down symmetry, in spite of the very nice high contrast reflection.   I was bothered by the foreground and the little corner triangles and decided to download and play with it.  I only do that with images that I really like and find challenging.

Thanks for the compliment!

Here is what works best for me.

LR4: Crop maintaining AR, Autotone to make the Jack discernable.

Trying to put that into words is difficult for me.... maybe the lead-ins of the upper surface is more powerful when symmetrical, the triangles and earlier foreground are distracting, the slight brightening of shadow will cause the viewer to linger a little longer on the image and notice other things about it ... like the beautiful geometrical figures on the right.  And of course the title is a great prod in the right direction!!

I wasn't sure about the triangles, I'm still not.... they seem to give it something, and I like darker, more broody type pics.

Having said that, I really do like what you've done with it.

Thanks,

Jon.

General Douglas MacArthur: "Rules are mostly made to be broken and are too often for the lazy to hide behind."

Seemed to have worked for him.   I don't know if it applies to photographers. 

t

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow