Nikon D7100 left focus issue

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim_H3
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
Re: No reason
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 20, 2013

I posted in a different thread that I experienced the left focus issue and returned the body (#2510357).  I was not going to deal with sending in a brand new camera to have it fixed/calibrated when it should be working correctly out of the box.

I received the camera on a Tuesday, took the camera to Florida on a trip Thursday to visit the parents.  After my forst walk around outside to take some pictures outside and reviewing I decided to do a quick check of the focus inside.  I had already set the shutter to focus priority, was shooting aperture priority (2.8) with both my Tamron 17-50 2.8 and Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM/OS focusing on the feather details of a duck decoy in the house at the face of a large analog clock hanging on the wall in a very well lit room (natural light and lighting).  The center and right focus points produced great results but the left sensors had issues with the focus.

When we arrived back home I decided to try some more tests again with a tripod and also trying a few different lenses in the mix along with the other two lenses.  I also switched from AF-A to AF-S (AF-A is new to me coming from a D300) so didn't know how much to trust it. I added in a Nikon 50g AF 1.8 and Nikon 18-200 to include some Nikon glass in the tests.  The VR/OS was also switched off on the lenses that had it on the tripod.  This time the focus point was a stuffed duck focusing on the area around the eye.  Same results unfortunately.  Did the same tests with my D300 and things were fine.

I did not test in live view.

I opted to send it back and although I really wanted to like the camera and was growing impatient waiting for a D400 or even moving to FX for a D700 type replacement and although I was disappointed in the buffer (I want higher FPS than what is currently offered in the latest camera models).  Other aspects of the camera I was excited about and with an upcoming trip to China in ~2 months I came to the conclusion that I was not sure I wanted to risk sending it in to be fixed and dealing with the potential back and forth and missing out on the return window.  Spending >1K on a camera, I would just expect it to work properly without limitations.

I am now leaning towards biting the bullet on a used D3S at this point.

Jim_H3's gear list:Jim_H3's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nokia Lumia 1020 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow