Leave it Alone, or Hack it? 2010 iMac

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
Re: Leave it Alone, or Hack it? 2010 iMac
In reply to Tom_N, Apr 20, 2013

Here's my plan: I'll wait until I get the machine. If it is fast enough to impress me, I'll just add RAM to bring it up to 16Gb and do no more. If it isn't fast enough, then I'll sell it on C/L. This is Hollywierd, after all, so there is a ton of Mac users out there.

I went to the Apple Store in Santa Monica yesterday and talked to a few of the reps there. I have enough credit to get a 2012 i5 machine. They don't sell that model at the store (only i7), but I can order it online. And then get AppleCare and One-to-One training at the store.

I'm impressed with the knowledge expressed by all the posters here. But at the same time I realize that --- being 71 --- I don't have the depth of knowledge you have. So rather than considering tearing into an older machine, I'd be more comfortable buying a new one.

I have to confessed I'm an old Ham radio operator. I always have my soldering gun plugged in, if you know what I mean. And that is why I enjoyed this G4 tower I'm currently working on. I loved swapping hard drives, plugging in PCI cards and replacing dead RAM chips.

But the iMac represents a new realm where I can't be that involved. Thanks to you all for your help. I can't wait to get started really doing PP with my images. On a genuine Intel cpu Mac.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow