Is this the electronic first curtain artifact with high shutter speed?

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233
Like?
Is this the electronic first curtain artifact with high shutter speed?
Apr 20, 2013

I was reading the Frank Doorhof blog that stevebarron posted a link to in another thread.In it he talks about the artifacts that can arise when shooting at wide apertures,fast shutter speeds,with the electronic first curtain shutter on.

I have known about this possibility since I bought the A77 over a year ago,as it is stated in Sony's manuals,but I've never given it much thought.Nor have I ever turned off the EFC when shooting fast shutter speeds wide open.

But reading Frank's blog got me thinking.I also believe I read Amateur Sony Shooter and Dennis Mullen said they turn EFC off in those situations.

So I tried to look for an example of the artifact in my own photos and I think I've found one but I'm not sure.Here's a picture I took last week with a crop of the background.Can anyone confirm if this is the artifact that Sony describes in its' manuals?Or is it just nervous bokeh?I'm looking at the ghosted double images of the light poles and in the roof lines.

Also if anyone has a better example,can you post it so I know what to look out for in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

original photo

crop of the background

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow