Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CMC123
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Speedlite 580 EX II Master / Slave HELP
Apr 20, 2013

I have two Canon Speedlite 580 EX II flashes that I would like to use at the same time.  One on the camera hot shoe, the other on a light stand with an umbrella, using the wireless function.

Problem is that I cannot seem to get them to fire a the same exact time.  There is a noticeable 1 second delay until the Slave flashes, which does me no good since the shutter has already take the photo.

I have the first one (on hot shoe) set to Master, the second one (on umbrella stand) set to Slave and it is all ETTL.  I have not messed with any other settings.

I thought maybe it was a communication issue... but even when I take the flashes off, and have them face each other directly (an inch or two apart) and press the "pilot" button on the Master for a test fire, the Slave still will not flash at the same time,there is a 1 second delay.

What am I doing wrong?  Or... is this how it's supposed to function?  If so, doesn't that render the Slave useless?  By the time the Slave flash has fired, my photo has already been taken.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BTW -- the Master flash does actually fire (I haven't figure out how to turn that part off, I would like to just have the Slave fire, once I get this part figured out).

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow