Building a PC

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ilysaml
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: What applications do you plan to run?
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 20, 2013

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

ilysaml wrote:

i really feel confusing, are they recommending according to performance or according to budget?!!!

Ok Mr Tareq, can you please finally rephrase your budget and mainly your puropse of the new machine, I've a wide experience in home builds but actually too lazy to track the thread from the beginning with the mixed thoughts and opinions.

Ignore the budget because i can put anywhere between $1000-2500, i don't want to go more than $2500-3000.

For what purpose? Games, Photos processing including Panos stitching, videos, CAD.

Alright, first of all if you intend to play games at a high resolution and ultra settings (maxed out) you'll need a very high end card such as HD 7970 GHz or GTX 680, if you're planning to play at 2560x resolution with ultra settings, you definitely gonna need to CF/SLI one of those to cope up with the most recent titles and get a smooth gameplay @ 40+ FPS.

However, Desktop Graphics cards are more intended for games, Workstation graphics such as nVidia Quadro or AMD FirePro cards are more intended for Pros and high end Amateurs for intensive Graphics works such as Photo editing, Video editing, 3D, Animation, Maya, Autodex and so... the mid range of those cards can cost you the whole budget you set for the build, and an entry level Quadro or Firepro may be better than a GTX/HD card as those cards have a very precise drivers and they are optimized for those  applications so you have to determine whether you want a Professional graphics card for your professional work, or you're just an amateur and can get away with desktop graphics card, most of the Adobe Suite benefits well from both CUDA and OpenCL/Open GL so you'll have a good acceleration with those cards too.

Speaking of the Platform, I don't see any reason to go for a X79 based Chipset unless every second in your rendering work is valuable, for gaming, a quad core CPU like the core i5 3570K is gonna perform equally to a core i7 3770K CPU, as games is not optimized for more than 4 cores, and doesn't benefit from HTT. Now look at the differences between multiple CPU when it comes to multi-threaded applications and tell me if the huge $$ between i7 3770k and i7 3960X justify the additional gain in seconds.

As you can see, there's no difference between a $100 CPU and $1000 CPU when it comes to playing games at high resolution, and this resolution specifically is GPU intensive than CPU. so now as you see there's no real world benefit of the x79 platform unless you know what you're doing. If you settle on the Z77 based system I'll recommend you parts in the next post, or better idea, if you're not in a hurry, wait for Haswell.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
rhit MOD
rhit MOD
rhit MOD
hereNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow