Which full frame Nikon body is safe to buy?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
5tve
Contributing MemberPosts: 648Gear list
Like?
Re: Which full frame Nikon body is safe to buy?
In reply to yray, Apr 20, 2013

yray wrote:

regos wrote:

"Sounds to me like you should choose another brand.  You will always have doubts, just move on."

I guess you didn't notice that one of the main reasons I want a full frame Nikon body is to be able to use my legacy Nikkor lenses. I have been shooting Nikons since the late 1960's, starting with the rangefinder Nikon SP. I bought my Nikon F in 1972 and still have, and love, all the Nikkor glass I have collected since then. I had a D70, which I liked. It died suddenly and I replaced it with the D7000 which let me use my old lenses; I even installed an aftermarket split image focusing screen. I am now ready to move up to a full frame body, but the point is to be able to use my f-mount glass.

Another vote for the D700. It is wonderful with legacy lenses of which I also have quite a few. And in the full frame segment it is presently probably the best compromise of features and cost. If you're not a landscape shooter who needs gazillion pixels, and don't intend to shoot routinely over ISO 3200, D700 really isn't even a compromise, it is a solid and reliable performer which will delight you for many years to come. Just find a gently used one with a low shutter count, and I doubt you'll have any remorse for a good long time. It is also a pretty much problem free camera, no prevalent AF issues or oil spots. Frankly, if someone offered me to trade my D700 for a brand new D800 -- I wouldn't, for me D700 hits the sweet spot, just like D300 did in the DX world. IMO, in that generation Nikon got pretty much everything right. However, if in doubt, rent a D800 for a few days and see if you like it. There are tons of people on this forum who will tell you that they haven't touched their D700 since they got D800, or got rid of it altogether. In the end it all boils down to your personal needs and tastes.

+ 1 for the D700 I still have mine & its been problem free great camera for portraits & weddings.

Wish I could say the same about my D800 when it behaves it delivers fantastic image quality but there  have been too many problems with inconsistent focus over the past year, the recent firmware update has helped but I still have the Left AF problem I have to send it into Nikon UK  who don't seem to be able to fix it.

5tve's gear list:5tve's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony a6000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow