Copyright photos taken on publicly-owned property?

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?
Copyright photos taken on publicly-owned property?
Apr 20, 2013

Photographing in Torrey Pines State Park the other day. Near San Diego, a beautiful place. Found myself wondering if any pictures I took there should be able to be copyrighted? Help me express this properly. I know any photo I take is copyrighted as i take it ... but ... there seems to be something wrong about being able to copyright a photo taken in a public place that we all paid for with our taxes. Photos taken on publicly-owned property.

As I walked around, I felt that the images I was taking were, basically, public property ... snapshots of instants in time at a public place ... could I rightfully own these images anymore than I 'own' the sights I saw that day? The sights given to me, walking the Guy Fleming North Trail, by our State Parks department, putting our shared tax money to work building that trail, building the spectacular ocean overlook?

What do you think?

-- hide signature --

Jonathon Donahue -- author, 'Drawing for Money' and 'Self-Publishing Secrets', at http://Jon404.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow