bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 4,921
Like?
Re: >>> Street Photography eXchange #41 <<<
In reply to Ed Gaillard, Apr 20, 2013

Ed Gaillard wrote:

xtoph wrote:

bosjohn21 wrote:

beautiful expression and concentration on the center of interest. i too would have liked a wider frame to include some of the player at left, i think. not sure that would have worked. but i do feel the absence of his head/profile.

I don't agree.  That would be a different photograph, with a different meaning.  This one puts me in mind of a quote from the biologist Thomas Henry Huxley, an early supporter of evolution:

"The chess-board is the world; the pieces are the phenomena of the universe; the rules of the game are what we call the laws of Nature. The player on the other side is hidden from us. We know that his play is always fair, just and patient. But also we know, to our cost, that he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."

Note also that White's King has already been swept from the board.

-- hide signature --

While the metaphor of the King having been "swept from the board"sound ominous and powerful,  the reality is its a chess lesson and the two pieces on the board are all thats required for the lesson today. I wanted to show the joy and concentration that is so obvious in the young mans face however once I have posted the shot I really have no say in what you see in it. My statement was compleated.  This is in reality a simple photo I cropped out the Chess master for two reasons. First I want you to concentrate on the boy and second the chess masters face is in so much shadow there is not enough detail. I think the photo stands quite nicely as I have presented it but I am allways open to suggestions thanks

Maybe an even tighter crop will be better

John aka bosjohn21

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
furNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow