Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hagelstedt
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Help me decide between the 135L and the 70-300L IS for a 6D
Apr 20, 2013

I've been reading reviews and forum threads for a couple of days now but I'm having difficulties finding opinions that are applicable to my situation..

I currently have the 60D with a 10-22, 17-50 2.8, 50 1.8, 70-200 4L IS and a kenko 1.4x teleconverter.

I shoot landscapes with the 10-22, people/indoors with the 17-50, portraits with the 50 1.8 and candids, dogs, wildlife etc. with the 70-200 (sometimes with the extender). My more serious type of shooting is in the wide angle end and I don't need any advice there.

Now. I'm going full frame (6D) within a week or two and I'm trying to find the perfect lens set up for me and my thoughts are roughly the following:

1. I'm getting rid of all lenses mentioned above and the only lens I'm sure of getting to the 6D is the 17-40 (to be upgraded the day canon releases something better)

1. I dont want to carry to many lenses

2. I like photos that stands out (this is why I'm thinking about getting the 135L), everyday photos I can take with my iphone.

3. I can live with missing a shot or two due to not having the required FL

So the question is, will a 135L and probably also an 85 1.8 cover my needs or will i miss the reach and the flexibility of a zoom to much? If I'm going 135L, it will be my longest lens for at least a couple of years ahead.

The alternative is to turn things around and get the 70-300L 4-5.6 IS. I'm sure it's more versitile and can provide me with the photo i want in most situations (specially considering the high iso performance of the 6D). I would probably get the 85 1.8 within the near future as well for those pop-out portrait shots. However, I'm afraid it would be the "boring" choice and I would get less photos that "stand out" as compared to getting the 135L...

Boring but versatile or brave but limited?

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow