Office printer: laser or inkjet AIO, help please – what options?

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,015
Like?
Office printer: laser or inkjet AIO, help please – what options?
Apr 20, 2013

I realize this forum is really dedicated to photo printing; I am mostly answering questions rather than asking them, but I have a question and would truly respect opinions and thoughts, not just well founded knowledge.

I run an Epson 17 inch 3880 and Epson 44 inch 9890 for photo imaging. I have an HP 309a all-in-one for color and black and white office printing, and an HP 2300d laser for black and white printing on office paper. The HP 2300d has stopped being consistent for duplexing, but still prints fine single sided (or manual duplexing) albeit a little noisier than it used to be. The HP 309a works fine, and the photo prints from it are surprisingly good on RC paper, but the tiny cartridges cost a small fortune and it is annoying to have to replace them so often – most of the ink seems to go during maintenance cycles.

The HP 2300d laser has printed the equivalent of 39,397.8 sides of US letter paper (A4 ish), at an average ink coverage of 4.93% per side. I haven’t kept logs of when I buy toner cartridges or reams of paper, but I would estimate that a cartridge lasts through 8 to 10 reams of paper (4,000 to 5,000 sheets), so a cost of about 3-4¢ per side; maybe less. The Laser cartridges are larger then most and cost about $160 each.

I don’t know how much longer the 2300d laser will last. If I could find a maintenance manual online, I would try to open it up and give it a good cleaning, but I suspect that some of the parts are starting to wear out, especially the nylon cogs. I have just bought a new $160 cartridge, but I am considering returning it and putting the money towards a new printer.

I would love to replace the laser and all-in-one with just one printer. HP are advertising their 8600 series inkjet printers as being ‘cheaper than laser’. Can this be true?

So, some of my many questions (perhaps you can add some that I am forgetting): Is there an all-in-one inkjet out there that would have the duty cycle of my current laser? Should I just bite the bullet and when the laser dies buy another B&W laser. Do they make small laser printers like the 2300d any more with large toner cartridges and 24 ppm?

Brian A

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow