Why Win8 will succeed. Or fail.

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371
Like?
Re: Everybody's sick of downloading stuff
In reply to dradam, Apr 20, 2013

Well I have had Windows 8 for about a week.

But first PC sales. I generally up grade my PS about every 2 1/2 years and my current PC is 2 1/2 years old. It used to be almost a necessity - my PC would become infested by viruses and generally slowed down to a crawl after the addition of programs etc over a 2 year period.

I am not up dating this time around.

1) My 2 1/2 year old PC still boots up in 30 seconds, it doesnt crash, it doesnt have viruses and it copes with all I thow at it in a breeze - I run a lot of heavy lifting photo apps and it is running the latest greatest PC game - Bioshock infrinite - with no problems.

2) When I look at the latest specs of PCs I have nothing to really gain. My 2 1/2 year old laptop has a 256gb primary hard disk, secondary HDD 1 (TB) (replaced the DVD. It has native HD resolution and runs my external monitor at 2560 x 1440. It has a core i7, 8GB ram and a decent video card and it weighs less than a pound more than a Mac Air.

So when it comes to poor PC sales, much of the blame should really be placed at the success of the current product - Windows 7 is an excellent OS and current hardware specs have more than ample power. I will certainly wait until the new low power processors arrive and probably until my whole system can go SSD.

As for Windows 8, Metro and the App store seem an epic fail - there isnt a single app I have found that I want on my computer.

But besides that it seems excellent. Installation was quick and simple. Metro is quickly relegated to the background (Start 8), I think I actually like the new search 'settings, apps and files function' (added to my desktop via a short cut). It is faster and it seems very stable. Seems to me that people are making too big a deal out of Metro and the App store - it certainly put me off upgrading earlier but it is really only a minor inconvenience in the greater picture of the OS.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow