Why magnesium alloy????

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: Why magnesium alloy????
In reply to Lance B, Apr 20, 2013

I recently dropped my Panasonic LX7 about 3 feet while in a padded case, and it sustained a dent in the metal body.  The drop was so minor I didn't even bother to check the camera out till the next day, assuming such a minor tumble would not have hurt the camera, especially in a case.  But low and behold my "premium" metal bodied compact is now scarred but still working fine.

I'm fairly positive a plastic bodied camera would have survived unscathed, based on tumbles previous plastic devices have taken.  While the LX7 is a far cry from a 1 series in build quality, don't assume a metal body equals great durability.  That metal body may look nice and add to the luxury appeal of the device, it's not exactly tough.

The thick magnesium alloy on a one series is totally different than what's on the LX7, but in short don't always equate metal with bulletproof construction.

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
gunsNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow