A55 / A58 real life pic comparison

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,316Gear list
Like?
My first A58 impression
In reply to Chimere, Apr 20, 2013

Thanks for posting your comparison images. I went to Sony store today played around A58 a bit, without looking into files, just based on my quick playing here are some issues with A58:

1) you can't select AF points without pressing function button and dive into menu first. The centre AF button can not be programed to activate AF selection. Unless I missed something, I think this is the biggest deal breaker for anyone need to select AF point quickly.

2) there is almost no buffer in camera. I used SanDisk 95M/S fast card for burst shooting test, after 3-5 shots camera hit the wall and there is long waiting to write to SD card.

3) My 70-200G was severely back focused 24-70 was borderline OK, yet there is no way to adjust camera focus either through menu or physical access. There appear to be some plastic cover inside pop up flash area, but upon close look you can't open the cover.

4) There is obvious EVF lag and slide show, despite much reduced burst rate from A57.

5) the built quality is noticeably worse than A57. The plastic mount ring is so easy to wear out, the store demo (they only had it for 2 days) already looked like been there for several months. The plastic body material felt really cheap compare to A37/57.

On the positive side, you can use auto ISO under manual exposure (new for Sony starting from A99). Compare to A57 the EVF is slightly brighter and having less strange colour cast, but it's little smaller too. The LCD screen is actually quite sharp, enough to check focus, so it's improvement over A37 for sure. Using the same battery as rest of SLT line is a good idea.

I was looking at A58 as cheap backup for my A99, now I will have to wait much longer (A78 if there is one). If I am in the market for first SLT camera I would get A57 no brainer.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DRO?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow