Cameralabs D7100 review up: verdict...

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,144Gear list
Like?
Re: no need
In reply to photoreddi, Apr 20, 2013

The D7100 is better but not dramatically better, and it's not really better at the smaller apertures that are  commonly used so you may as well save your money. I know what many others here know, that the D800e can produce better images than the D800, but in my eyes not by a dramatic margin so I saved several hundred dollars and bought the D800. While I have several of the "D800 approved" lenses, day to day I'm more likely to use good but less excellent lenses like the 24-85mm and 28-300mm VR lenses, and they wouldn't be able to take advantage of the D800e's

As it happens, Nikon actually had some idea what they were doing when they brought out the 24-85VR as a kit lens for the new high MP offerings.  It's capable of delivering a whopping 3900 LWPH to the sensor at center, tapering off to soft corners.  In other words, the lens is outresolving the D800e with no problem center to mid.  Since they didn't want to completely gut the sales of the 24-120 and the 24-70, they made it not quite as good as either of those.  But it's a heck of a deal, and should be in the running for the D7100 as well, where it is tacks edge to edge throughout the range.

24-85VR

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
D5KNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow